What is your first impression with Dark Chocolate?
It’s a nice treat…
But have you ever imagined that you would be recommended to eat this yummy snack daily?
Congratulations, your dream just comes true! Haha, of course, we are not consuming 1000g a day. That will be too much for anyone. Make sure to check the label for chocolate with a minimal of 60% of the cocoa content, which contains loads of health benefits.
1. Dark Chocolate is full of minerals
A 100-gram bar of dark chocolate with 70-85% cocoa contains1:
– 67% of the RDA for Iron
– 58% of the RDA for Magnesium
– 89% of the RDA for Copper
– 98% of the RDA for Manganese
– 21% of the RDA for Potassium
– 31% of the RDA for Phosphorus
– 22% of the RDA for zinc
2. Dark Chocolate is a source of dietary fiber
Believe it or not? A 100-gram bar of dark chocolate with 70-85% cocoa contains 11 grams of fiber, which is equivalent to 44% of the RDA for dietary fiber1.
3. Dark Chocolate is a great source of antioxidants
Have you ever heard of ORAC? ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) is a measure of the antioxidant activities of foods. Antioxidants can battle with free radicals and disarm them before they cause damages in our bodies. Dark chocolate contains plenty of antioxidants that can be easily digested and absorbed into our body2.
4. Dark Chocolate is good for your heart
Cocoa powder can lower LDL and increase HDL, and it also helps to prevent atherosclerosis (the hardening of arteries) 3. Atherosclerosis is caused by the formation of multiple atherosclerotic plaques within the arteries. During injury, when the lining of the blood vessels is damaged, various cells collaborate to seal up the damaged area. But these plagues may reduce the flow of blood and may rupture as time goes by, creating blood clots floating in the bloodstream, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. The polyphenols in dark chocolate act to relax the smooth muscle of the blood vessel, and they seem to inhibit the clotting of the blood as well4.
- Theobromine: Similar to caffeine, it increases alertness.
- Anandamide: It makes you have a better mood.
- Phenethylamine: It gives both better alertness and better mood, and it also lowers the appetite and thus facilitates weight loss.
Always Remember W.H.Y.
Be Well, Be Happy, Be You